Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Lady Shipwrights


Several years ago, when I got it in my head to build a boat, women builders on the internet were hard to come by. There were a few, but most of what I found were media mentions of so-and-so building a boat and sailing away. I didn't get to read many first-hand accounts of the experience. Not so anymore! Here is a list of my favorite builds by women from across the internet:

First on the list is Bernadette who is maintaining a thread over at Woodenboat documenting her build. Everything about this build looks absolutely beautiful. See photos here: http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?125392-building-KATY-update/

Next is Julie who is building a Scamp. Her blog is a delight-- she's funny and takes great photographs. Note the awesome Venn diagram in the screenshot below. So true.


Next there's Lezlie who is just finishing up her build and is in the middle of selling everything she owns to move on to a boat I'm looking forward to reaching that stage!


The women over at The Big Sailboat Project have done an incredible job of documenting their ambitious build. They are now enjoying their dream on the water.


I found this book on Amazon a while back:


It was pretty fantastic. A decent synopsis can be found here.




2 comments:

  1. Thank you so very much for the shout out and the kind words. I love your blog and I'm very excited to watch you progress with Luna. Happy building!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You *need* to include Barrett in your women shipwrights.

    http://barrettfaneuf.livejournal.com/5686.html

    ReplyDelete